Disturbing DCI rumors

3 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think I used PR's show as the model. I love PR, but last years props did absolutely (and literally,) NOTHING for the entire show. 

if shows pivot their effect on props, the design is lacking as far as the scoresheets reward.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

if shows pivot their effect on props, the design is lacking as far as the scoresheets reward.

That's one of the things I would love to be able to see on all corps is actual judging comments. 

1 hour ago, EricS said:

As a  novel exercise, wouldn't it be interesting if a corps had the balls to put a show on the field that is 11-12 minutes of great music and visual design minus props, tarps and only brass instruments and drums. 

It’s a lot more difficult to be creative without props. It’s monkey see monkey do with original thought being the exception.

Look no further than WGI where hundreds of participating units are like one another, then there’s that one original idea that surfaces from the midst of all the boring and another trend begins until the next original idea. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

It’s a lot more difficult to be creative without props. It’s monkey see monkey do with original thought being the exception.

Look no further than WGI where hundreds of participating units are like one another, then there’s that one original idea that surfaces from the mist of all the boring and another trend begins until the next original idea. 

Remember when DCI once had corps with distinct personalities in their shows, in their traditions, in their styles and vesture...

How I miss those days.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Remember when DCI once had corps with distinct personalities in their shows, in their traditions, in their styles and vesture...

How I miss those days.

Yup. There is no diversity in identity anymore. I miss the Spanish. British, Scottish, Jazz, show tune, and Classical themed drum Corps.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Yup. There is no diversity in identity anymore. I miss the Spanish. British, Scottish, Jazz, show tune, and Classical themed drum Corps.

Those who thought they had to change their identity are still looking for it. With costuming, props and non-marching body movement, I’m not convinced most will ever find it again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

IMHO,  Bluecoats show would have been just as good without the props and those staircases didn’t make the Cadets show any better.  :peek:

This is brilliantly said.  Kudos.

And I'm not blowing smoke up your patootie, either. 

EDIT: And I further can't believe that neither the spell checker nor the mod filter hiccuped on "patootie".  Heh.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Everyone has their breaking point. 

Yup. But the thing is this:

they don’t care. They don’t. We can all type to the death that we matter, but we don’t. DCI has never changed a rule due to fan outcry, and they never will. They’d never admit something backfired. And if they did, it’d be years and too many people wouldn’t care and wouldn’t come back because they moved on. DCI’s credibility would be shot and wouldn’t deserve another chance. I know people that gave up when show design went super intellectual with some serious boring ### music being offered, and I’ve showed them recent shows featuring a whole lot more entertaining music, and they don’t care anymore. I’m not talking my dads era of alumni, I’m talking my era... people aged 40-50. They moved on, found other things and are gone

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, EricS said:

As a  novel exercise, wouldn't it be interesting if a corps had the balls to put a show on the field that is 11-12 minutes of great music and visual design minus props, tarps and only brass instruments and drums. 

Yeah if they want to place 25th

• Haha 1