Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

4 minutes ago, wigwam said:

Yes they showed promise and they are fulfilling it.  How can you make big changes when so many members have to sit out for covid?   If they can get healthy they will be fine.  They might not win but they are putting on an excellent entertaining show.   The absolute best part is the members seem to enjoy performing it, that's a lot more important than winning first place. 

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47e0lhxqyq662ufglexq

I hate the pressure on Crown. ####, they're doing sick work with a killer show.

That's enough for me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

It's creatively risky to gather so many diverse visual elements under such a broad theme. The precision by which the performers execute these elements is obscured because there's so much going on. That's risky.

What's also risky is the book's demand on the MMs. Are they handling? Yes, the judges proved that last night with the guard's achievement score. But what that means is that the guard and the rest of the corps have to keep a shitton of spinning plates in the air for potentially longer than other corps. That's also risky. But the bet I'm guessing the instructors are making is that the longer the corps has the full, wild book in their hands, the longer they have to perfect it. They're going about it the right way pedagogically... but again, it's a creative/pedagogical risk.

I don't have a problem with any singular creative element in this show. I just think there's so many that it obscures the work MMs are doing and increases their demand. That's all.

And I still say .. if they could get everyone on the field and clean it .. it would stand up to any show. The technical and musical demands are the highest on the field this year  I’m not marching it .. but that is no joke and every caption has high exposure and is equally important.. for example you go all in and have a big battery push to the sideline in the closer .. knowing perc may not be your top caption .. it’s just a hard show with no room for error or losing members.  It just unravels.. there is so much/many interdependent movements ..  I can’t predict external forces but if they get a healthy corps on the field they medal  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, BWise said:

And I still say .. if they could get everyone on the field and clean it .. it would stand up to any show. The technical and musical demands are the highest on the field this year  I’m not marching it .. but that is no joke and every caption has high exposure and is equally important.. for example you go all in and have a big battery push to the sideline in the closer .. knowing perc may not be your top caption .. it’s just a hard show with no room for error or losing members.  It just unravels.. there is so much/many interdependent movements ..  I can’t predict external forces but if they get a healthy corps on the field they medal  

Agreed. And that's why the pedagogical choice with the spinning plates is risky.

I have no doubt that design and MMs have the stuff to do exactly as you said! ❤️

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47e0lhxqyq662ufglexq

I hate the pressure on Crown. ####, they're doing sick work with a killer show.

That's enough for me!

100%. Crown has a killer show. I personally love it. Yes, it’s big. Yes, it’s risky.  Yes, it has some design flaws. But it delivers an exciting production for fans, and this show will be remembered years down the road when other shows are forgotten.  

Nothing crown is doing is risky. This is exactly what they’ve been doing for years. Bb major scales, 16th note runs, and triple tounging exercises on top of mediocre show design. The app is a gimmick that isn’t paying off. The concept of the show is a gimmick that isn’t paying off. In June it was “crown is going undefeated” then two weeks later it was “crown is fighting BD for 1st” then two weeks later it was “crown is fighting for a medal with BD and Boston” and now it’s “Crown might medal if their show doesn’t get in the way of the talent” 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, nsxanax said:

This is a tough admission from a self identified Crownie, but it feels that the show is in free fall. I was feeling good re perc last night until I realized SCV performed in exhibition due to wet deck.

I’ll standby my opinion that I like it, on balance, better than anything they’ve fielded since ‘16. 

Some ardent Crown fans—I know I can’t speak for nor am I so presumptuous to represent all—have continued to believe that there’d be some breakout or turnaround performance by [insert venue name here].

And as of this Sat. a.m., the weather seems to be lining up to washout NightBEAT. 

But it’s still a show day in ATL: GO CROWN!!!!

I agree that this is by far the best product on the field by Crown since 2016 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You're in denial if you aren't seeing the actual risk this book is putting on MMs, especially the guard. That beautiful orange prop that I love, is a wildcard and they're rolling it around with equipment flying over, under, around, and through it. That's called risk... or, in other words, it's called a demanding book. Is that nomenclature easier?

Can they handle it? Yes, obviously. Their guard score is proving that they can. I'm not dogging this corps by calling their design choices risky. I'm saying good on the instructors for delivering something beefy.

But it's risky to ask that of MMs for the whole season during a pandemic when so many factors out of their control are in play.

You seem to be focused on placement and scoring, @Big Bird. I'm focused on the MM experience. There's crossover btw the too, but I won't take back what I've said.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, BWise said:

Naw .. I think it is matching all those holes with strict covid standards. I give them props for fielding the show instead of a standstill. But if your sick or exposed you’re off the field with Crown. Unlike others

Are you saying this with full knowledge of other corps’ Covid protocols?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1