FLO questions

First time this season watching rebroadcast and it’s unwatchable. Freezes about 4 times every show. Have to reload the stream and you miss most of the show. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brassboy said:

I believe that IS actually a Flo thing. Securing rights to rearrange and perform licensed music is already handled by corps/DCI. It’s the sync rights that are needed for having audio available for VOD, and I believe that’s on Flo’s end. It was one of the things they talked about expanding for this year. But I think it’s incredibly tricky and expensive.

No expert but have read there are different copyrights/licensing involved for performing, recording and broadcasting. Even different ones for live and non-live broadcasts. And they all cost $$$ for each one. Corps have to cover themselves for performance and that’s it.
My understanding is that’s why DCA no longer sells CD or vids. Just couldn’t make enough money to cover licensing.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

First time this season watching rebroadcast and it’s unwatchable. Freezes about 4 times every show. Have to reload the stream and you miss most of the show. 

All I know is it ain't me. I get 500 mbps on my home internet connection.

• Like 1

It looks like Flo is not able to show many shows due to delays in securing rights.  Why am I not surprised?

Edited by Old Corps Guy

13 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

It looks like Flo is not able to show many shows due to delays in securing rights.  Why am I not surprised?

This isn’t a simple or uniform process per song. Think back to the blu ray disks and how many times audio had to be muted. And those came out months AFTER the season ended.

The fact that there are any corps with full VOD the first week of the season is a miracle. The other thing to think about is the time line. Most corps don’t finalize their music until March/April (or later), can’t even start working on the rights to the music until the corps lock in what they are playing.

• Like 2

I totally understand and agree. I was just commenting on this still being an issue every year. I would love to see a rule added stating all rights must be secured before the first competition. However, that would upset certain corps that like to wait until opening night to reveal their show. 

13 hours ago, brassboy said:

I believe that IS actually a Flo thing. Securing rights to rearrange and perform licensed music is already handled by corps/DCI. It’s the sync rights that are needed for having audio available for VOD, and I believe that’s on Flo’s end. It was one of the things they talked about expanding for this year. But I think it’s incredibly tricky and expensive.

and often times the license holders have some outrageous demands

• Like 2

I am trying to understand the technical reasoning behind why Flo is struggling with the rebroadcasts when their live shows have been largely flawless. 

Did they only reserve a specific amount of bandwidth for the live shows and not the rebroadcasts? I don't think reserving bandwidth is even a thing

It's bizarre to me that the rebroadcasts have been so terrible

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I am trying to understand the technical reasoning behind why Flo is struggling with the rebroadcasts when their live shows have been largely flawless. 

Did they only reserve a specific amount of bandwidth for the live shows and not the rebroadcasts? I don't think reserving bandwidth is even a thing

It's bizarre to me that the rebroadcasts have been so terrible

email them and ask. then expect an answer asking if you tested your equipment

• Haha 2