DCI Tour Premier?? 6/28/22

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

Bluecoats give us Gestalt drum corps...can Jung be far behind..? beautiful visuals and guard work..All in all, a great beginning

With coats we’re more likely to get the Dude.

• Like 1

First off great show last night!  The theatre I was at the sound was pretty bad.

Bloo- I don't know what your visual/music designers were smoking but their inner 60's hippie creativity was VERY enjoyable.  If more props = more score you may be heading for a Gold.  I enjoyed the show a LOT.  I am on the fence about the big head in the back of the field.  It's feels a little "forced" and the corps disappears when anything is in front of it.  No doubt the Bloo budget for props and synth could probably put another corps on the road.  Will more = more score...we will see.  Oh, and just looking at the uniforms (which were REALLY cool effect wise) how do you stop atomic wedgies?

BAC-Solid show.  I have to see how you are transporting those aluminum? teepees.  I thought your percussion won tonight.  Obvious sound issues I am sure will be addressed.  Guard was amazing.

Cavies- The "GREEN" machine!  Great sound for this early from the horn line.  Drumline, I thought was actually behind Phantom.  A LOT of dirt.  This show while a LOT of potential was not complete.  I actually had them in last because of this.  Meh, going to be a fantastic show when it's all on the field.

Phantom- Wow.  What a difference from 2019.  JD is back in the house.  I would not consider those "props" other than mobile stages IMHO.  Which seem to work.  Obvious intonation issues "solo".  Horn line sounds REALLY powerful for this early.  Going on early IMHO hurt them score wise as well as the next two corps as well.  You are doing a LOT of marching and compared to other corps you are in white and need to be EXTRA clean.  That being said you by FAR understand intervals and distance better than others. Great comeback show.

Bluestars- Interesting show concept.  There is SO much music dealing with war I am not sold with what was selected considering the genre, uniforms and props.  If any corps screamed for 1812...it's you.  Horn line sound was very good.  Drums, seemed dirty.  Your visual is being killed by your costumes.  Is that line straight?  Is that a trench coat bleeding into that form?  I enjoyed the show overall but intervals matter.  IMHO it helped you going on after Crossman and not Phantom.

Crossman- Unlike the haters I actually like your uniforms on the field.  I found your music very interesting the way it tried to tie it all together.  Mobius strips on the field were actually pretty effective and the big infinity drill move was not lost on me. 🙂  Show has a lot of potential but really dirty.  Going on after Phantom actually hurt you IMHO.  Can't wait to see this show clean.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I won't make the show tonight. Seats are open, section 106, row 19, seats 1 and 2.

Staff members from Boston and Bluecoats owe you a beer (or at least a huge thank you) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I’m wary of the way people blame BD for every trend that they dislike. There are plenty of new things happening in DCI that BD simply hasn’t done.  I don’t see the BD of this new Bloo show at all. It’s all Bloo to me. The sound, structure, look, vibe are not BD at all. It tracks a lot more for the corps that did back to back Beatles shows and is now having its acid trip era just like the Beatles did lol. This show is SO modern Bloo to me — all about the vibes, showing off without “showing off.” That’s not BD’s schtick at all. I love that about it. 

People who dislike vocals or ugly costumes can blame Crown... I think they started those trends. 😁

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I would throw SCV in the mix as well, their closer is not on the field yet. IMHO may be why they scoring lower than BD. Phantom impressed me though. I can see them place higher as the season goes by.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

People who dislike vocals or ugly costumes can blame Crown... I think they started those trends. 😁

For vocals... blame the Cadets.  That one is entirely their fault, long, long before Crown's fairly tasteful use of the technique in the early 2010s.

Ugly uniforms that change with the tide... blame Star of Indiana.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

For vocals... blame the Cadets.  That one is entirely their fault, long, long before Crown's fairly tasteful use of the technique in the early 2010s.

Ugly uniforms that change with the tide... blame Star of Indiana.

Oh yeah... Honestly, every trend people dislike should be blamed on that slimebag who is no longer associated with drum corps and will not be named... vocals, electronics, increased membership.

And Star changed unis often but they still looked like uniforms and were never THAT bad. I think 2013 Crown was when the annual ugly costume changes really started. 

10 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

For vocals... blame the Cadets. 

Amen to that.