Is Parity really possible in DCI...

I'm sure this has been covered before but what is preventing parity in Drum Corp...As History shows, there is parity with the top 3, 4th through 6, and the rest of the pack...The point spread is dramatic from top to bottom.  To me the only thing keeping this scoring gap all falls on the staff...(IMO) Though it sounds and looks like it, I don't believe the talent level is dramatically better at the top than it is from the bottom. 

Show design, be it Drill, Music, or execution all fall on the staff and not the kids (For the most part.)  I think we can all agree the kids perform the heck out of their shows regardless of what they are given. We've all heard the phrase practice makes perfect...But the reality is perfect practice makes perfect.  Its mind boggling to me watching particular corps have major issues with spacing or form and not address the issue immediately.  Not a word is said. The "we'll address this later," seems counter-productive to a corps progress yet this happens all the time. 

I would love to see things tighten up from top to bottom but until staff solves this mystery we'll continue to see this wide gap in scoring.

Edited by Phantombari1

12 minutes ago, Phantombari1 said:

I'm sure this has been covered before but what is preventing parity in Drum Corp...As History shows, there is parity with the top 3, 4th through 6, and the rest of the pack...The point spread is dramatic from top to bottom.  To me the only thing keeping this scoring gap all falls on the staff...(IMO) Though it sounds and looks like it, I don't believe the talent level is dramatically better at the top than it is from the bottom. 

Show design, be it Drill, Music, or execution all fall on the staff and not the kids (For the most part.)  I think we can all agree the kids perform the heck out of their shows regardless of what they are given. We've all heard the phrase practice makes perfect...But the reality is perfect practice makes perfect.  Its mind boggling to me watching particular corps have major issues with spacing or form and not address the issue immediately.  Not a word is said. The "we'll address this later," seems counter-productive to a corps progress yet this happens all the time. 

I would love to see things tighten up from top to bottom but until staff solves this mystery we'll continue to see this wide gap in scoring.

The thing preventing parity is the scarcity of skilled instructors willing to spend an entire summer/year teaching drum corps, leading to talent concentration to certain corps. That, and $$$

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Phantombari1 said:

I have to disagree with your claim that talent level isn’t better at the top than it is at the bottom. Corps that win or potentially win medals naturally attract top marching talent. That’s why Open corps and even lower-Top 12 corps often end up as training grounds for students who gain experience and skill before moving on to the BDs and Bloos of the activity. I think commonly those corps at the top have a higher average age as well (check out how many age-outs they tend to have compared to other corps). So while the instruction is of course excellent at the top, they’re also working less at teaching fundamentals to individuals than I think many other corps do. The writing for corps I suspect also matches the level of expected skill of its incoming members. So will we see parity? Im doubtful, as it’s a situation that perpetuates itself as long as there’s a competitive aspect to it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, brassboy said:

I have to disagree with your claim that talent level isn’t better at the top than it is at the bottom. Corps that win or potentially win medals naturally attract top marching talent. That’s why Open corps and even lower-Top 12 corps often end up as training grounds for students who gain experience and skill before moving on to the BDs and Bloos of the activity. I think commonly those corps at the top have a higher average age as well (check out how many age-outs they tend to have compared to other corps). So while the instruction is of course excellent at the top, they’re also working less at teaching fundamentals to individuals than I think many other corps do. The writing for corps I suspect also matches the level of expected skill of its incoming members. So will we see parity? Im doubtful, as it’s a situation that perpetuates itself as long as there’s a competitive aspect to it. 

Agree. And of course, $$$$.

• Like 4

I don't want parity. A few shakeups every now and then I'd be OK with.  If you want success and championships, do what you need to do to earn it. Keep the free market free. 

I think there are 2 parts to parity - (1) parity in talent and (2) parity in design.

If we want parity, both need to be addressed.  I used to wonder what it would look like if the BD design team had (insert favorite lower-placing Corps) talent, and if the lower placing Corps design team was given BD's talented membership.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brassboy said:

I have to disagree with your claim that talent level isn’t better at the top than it is at the bottom. Corps that win or potentially win medals naturally attract top marching talent. That’s why Open corps and even lower-Top 12 corps often end up as training grounds for students who gain experience and skill before moving on to the BDs and Bloos of the activity. I think commonly those corps at the top have a higher average age as well (check out how many age-outs they tend to have compared to other corps). So while the instruction is of course excellent at the top, they’re also working less at teaching fundamentals to individuals than I think many other corps do. The writing for corps I suspect also matches the level of expected skill of its incoming members. So will we see parity? I'm doubtful, as it’s a situation that perpetuates itself as long as there’s a competitive aspect to it. 

I think you agreeing with me in part...My wording said "Dramatically" better.  I believe if you took for example BD's staff and paired them up with Madison preseason, they'd move up to the top 6 instantly because of the staff.

Just my opinion.

10 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think there are 2 parts to parity - (1) parity in talent and (2) parity in design.

If we want parity, both need to be addressed.  I used to wonder what it would look like if the BD design team had (insert favorite lower-placing Corps) talent, and if the lower placing Corps design team was given BD's talented membership.

I always wondered this as well.  Being a brass guy I would love to see what the top brass instructional staff could do with a hornline it has 15 trumpets 9 baritone 18 melophone and 3  tuba with the talent level of a 17th Place corps 

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1

BRING BACK TIC JUDGING!!!!!

😆 😀🤣🙃