Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

7 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Well, don’t love seeing so much discontent, but one thing I know is that BD is honest with themselves about how they performed, regardless of the placement, and first place or not, they know they have work to do.

And THAT makes all of the difference!

21 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I’m not quite understanding the consternation over the captions being all over the place. THATS A GOOD THING. It means judges are calling it the way they see it. 

I see this time and time again. People complain about slotting but as soon as a judge ventures out, people act like the judge just insulted their mothers 

basically I agree with you, I feel bad for the judges too. They can never win 

You talking about my mother?!?  🙂

7 hours ago, henry7184 said:

It proves nothing. Again, anyone who has taught or judged still wouldn’t be qualified to judge all captions and through a stream. If they could, then DCI would save itself some money and buy a Flo subscription for one man or woman and just have them log in and judge from their couch. Good grief - where do you come up with this stuff? You have to be in the stadium to judge. You have to be on the field or in the stands, witnessing the performance live and in person. I’ll stick with believing a panel of judges that DCI itself has approved over some faceless people on the internet who can claim to be anything they want.

Never did I say judge from home.  Can’t you read?  I said those who HAVE judged or taught CAN assess what they see on screen.  If you think they can’t then why not criticize everyone judging brass, percussion, guard performance quality & show design when they never see it live.  But they judge what they see and hear.  People with more experience as legit judges and instructors DO have a better understanding of what they see versus someone criticizing corps who have never done either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Maleguena1988 said:

I didn’t think it was TOO bad…I really felt for the judges last night…I can’t imagine how difficult judging this range of show must be…not upset with the placements, but a little puzzling at some of the caption discrepancies (for instance, 1 judge had Bloo in 4th GE, in had them .1 from 1st), but I also think that is reflective of how hard their charge is…imagine this will tighten up in the following week.

Knowing both GE judges, One has a visual background and the other is a percussion /music judge. That alone can make a difference in their GE scores. I believe that is how DCI GE judges are assigned, one is GE Visual and one is GE Music

24 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I’m not quite understanding the consternation over the captions being all over the place. THATS A GOOD THING. It means judges are calling it the way they see it. 

I see this time and time again. People complain about slotting but as soon as a judge ventures out, people act like the judge just insulted their mothers 

basically I agree with you, I feel bad for the judges too. They can never win 

It’s somewhat of a conundrum.  On the one hand, we want judges “calling it the way they see it”, as you put it.  On the other hand, the corps need some consistency in order to react to the feedback they’re getting.  You don’t want to adjust your show based on feedback from a couple shows and then get punished for it by a judge who sees it differently.  It’s certainly tough on the judges.  In some ways, it seems some “group think” on the content side might be good to promote consistency in feedback but then you start getting into the “slotting issue.” 
I don’t have a good answer other than maybe we should just cheer on all the good things the kids are doing and not worry about the scores.  But darn it, I too want to see my favorite win.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Knowing both GE judges, One has a visual background and the other is a percussion /music judge. That alone can make a difference in their GE scores. I believe that is how DCI GE judges are assigned, one is GE Visual and one is GE Music

This would make sense- seems they should label it that way.  But I think I read that used to be the case but is no longer?

48 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

I'll take your word for it, I don't want to look.  Too much huggy mushy congratulatory stuff between all the fans, I might get all teary. 😄

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

DCP: "Love All, Serve All"  

Is that the follow-on volume to the book "To Serve Man"?

Edited by CrownBariDad
Typo
  • Like 2