The Cadets 2023

18 hours ago, supersop said:

I can't unwind after that camp .... holy _______________ (fill in the blank)

My son flew back to Cali late last night and was as wired with excitement as the first time he went to Disneyland.  😄  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2023 at 6:09 PM, CadetDood said:

All I’ll say is it’s new pieces to the corps, more modern (in a competitive sense), but still true to the corps identity. I love it, it feels like the corps making the right steps forward without just selling out to what others have been doing lately. 

I love the idea of the Cadets being the Cadets. What I most definitely hope, however, is that they stop the practice of the past few years where they genuflect to a handful of obstinate alumni. Stop the patronizing. Today's corps isn't about their sensitivities or their legacy. It's about today's Cadets making their own Cadets legacy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

I love the idea of the Cadets being the Cadets. What I most definitely hope, however, is that they stop the practice of the past few years where they genuflect to a handful of obstinate alumni. Stop the patronizing. Today's corps isn't about their sensitivities or their legacy. It's about today's Cadets making their own Cadets legacy. 

I'm sorry .. but WHAT?  I mean .... WHAT?
Shall ALWAYS Be ... it says that for a reason.

The 2023 Cadets will create their own chapter of a very long, honored and respected legacy that knows where it came from.  Every Cadet, past, present and future .. are ALL Cadets.

The alumni in Garfield and Hackensack are every bit as much my brother and sister as are the members from Fukushima, Rotterdam, Erie or Allentown. 

The NJ alumni remember when the corps was their chapter, a local neighborhood corps that had guts and grit and personality and won A LOT of championships (10 times to be exact including a 3-pete before DCI was born).  They also felt a shift around 1983 when people started showing up from everywhere ... and that hasn't changed.  Things change over time and The Cadets has always survived.  For 89 years. 

The current members crave knowing that history.  It's why The Cadets are special (and a little bit different).

The Cadets will always be The Cadets .. even when they stray a bit ... they stop zigging and get back to zagging.

I'm sorry ShouldNot .. but that comment is pretty fair to say ... OUT OF LINE.  If The Cadets is your corps and you feel that way, I'm sorry for whomever hurt you.  Let's figure out how to fix it.  If The Cadets was not your corps ... "You have a very fine drum corps" and please move along.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, supersop said:

I need to get off this website lol

Nah… you make sense..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, supersop said:

a local neighborhood corps that had guts and grit and personality and won A LOT of championships (10 times to be exact including a 3-pete before DCI was born).  

They did?  When?  VFW?

I'm a Garfield fan and wish them the best, just didn't know this.