The Cadets 2023

On 4/14/2023 at 12:18 PM, Boss Anova said:

' Have no substantive details can publicly share, but can share that Cadets are having a productive off season, good vibes there, they're feeling good about camps and their show for 2023. I know most Corps can say this at this juncture, but its a little different here with the Cadets, as we could not say this about them at this stage not that long ago. So thumbs up there👍

I know there has been some drama and controversial decisions last fall, but if I were to hear things were not going well at camps, that would surprise me. They had a very good show in 2021 and in 2022 they were competitive, perhaps not as much as in the past, but they held their own with a crowd pleasing show. I’m sure they had their share of talented folks audition and accept contracts. Though off the field drama can impact an on the field show, even if the marching members are not involved, and that may have happened in 2019, the only other corps I know of that is as resilient as Cadets is Boston Crusaders of the late 70’s/early 80’s. Though most of us in Boston are thrilled they are doing so well, no one knows how BAC survived what they survived. Yes many alums knew they would survive, and love reminding former rivals they were wrong, but their’s is an incredible story. If another corps faced what Cadets faced in 2018 as late as April, there would not have fielded. Whether it was said publicly or not, after 2019 and Covid, more than a few  predicted Cadets would close up shop. You can say Cadets has a long history which worked in its favor, but another corps with a long history (though young compared to Cadets) will not be competing this year.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Tim K said:

I know there has been some drama and controversial decisions last fall, but if I were to hear things were not going well at camps, that would surprise me. They had a very good show in 2021 and in 2022 they were competitive, perhaps not as much as in the past, but they held their own with a crowd pleasing show. I’m sure they had their share of talented folks audition and accept contracts. Though off the field drama can impact an on the field show, even if the marching members are not involved, and that may have happened in 2019, the only other corps I know of that is as resilient as Cadets is Boston Crusaders of the late 70’s/early 80’s. Though most of us in Boston are thrilled they are doing so well, no one knows how BAC survived what they survived. Yes many alums knew they would survive, and love reminding former rivals they were wrong, but their’s is an incredible story. If another corps faced what Cadets faced in 2018 as late as April, there would not have fielded. Whether it was said publicly or not, after 2019 and Covid, more than a few  predicted Cadets would close up shop. You can say Cadets has a long history which worked in its favor, but another corps with a long history (though young compared to Cadets) will not be competing this year.

Agreed.  Here we have TWO 80+ year old drum corps who have not only survived great upheavals during their existences, but also have found ways to remain relevant and very competitive through 8 decades of staggering societal change.   Most everyone I speak with in Boston is happy to see Cadets' resurgence and considers them the other Eastern Powerhouse. 

• Like 1

Well, even though I'm clamoring for information, I appreciate the fact that Cadets are relatively quiet and instead are focusing on producing a quality product based on what I'm reading from people here. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TOC said:

You must mean North Eastern Powerhouse.  If not, Crown's on line 2.

Crown doesn't leave the southeast unless there is a regional.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Well, even though I'm clamoring for information, I appreciate the fact that Cadets are relatively quiet and instead are focusing on producing a quality product based on what I'm reading from people here. 

I imagine for the alum of Cadets, its nice not being in the spotlight of the "continually exploding thread" of the summer for once.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I imagine for the alum of Cadets, its nice not being in the spotlight of the "continually exploding thread" of the summer for once.

You can say THAT again...

23 hours ago, craiga said:

Crown doesn't leave the southeast unless there is a regional.

Crown's definitely an Eastern corps as much as Southern, and they were touring the Midwest last year at the beginning of the season. I know because I saw them live in Muncie during one of the first shows of the season, which completely counters what you wrote.

Many could argue that Boston spends most of their time in the Northeast unless there's a regional contest or a season-opening cinema event.

The Cadets are flirting with being a Midwest corps, as they're pretty darned close to Ohio and Canton...

It's all good.

Edited by jjeffeory
Fix inaccurate information
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I know because I saw them live in Muncie ( the same stadium as DCI-Open Finals).

Pretty sure it was honest mistake with both cities starting with "M".........but 2022 Open Class Finals was held at Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion Indiana, not Muncie. 

• Thanks 2