Battle At The Alamo(dome) - July 22,2023

3 hours ago, Cadet Guardy said:

Given the draw order performance for the Cadets, I'm very happy with the judges scores - .3 under Phantom and Mandi was expected. You guys are a tough crowd so before the trolls strike the confused emoji, hear me out.

I think both Phantom and Mandi are good. While the crowd loves them both, I feel they have reached their peak - much more so Phantom than Mandi.

IF and only IF I'm right, the Cadets made a very strategic play in not performing changes in progress tonight, e.g., drums take over too much (maybe I'm wrong about this after seeing them 4th in percussion tonight), transitions work and HIGH impact drill at the end. If these changes take place and excecuted well, I'm sticking to my guns and saying Cadets take 5th. 

I am banking on Cadets to roll out changes I hope they have been working on. 

I’d love to understand what was so egregious about my personal opinion @Chief Guns @DrumManTx was it that the Cadets are not capable of 5th or am I missing something? I respectfully await your views and commentary 🙂 @MandarinMom I can understand your bias as a DCI mom of a marching Mandi. I’d love to hear more of your detailed  critique, especially coming from such a profound and experienced adjudicator like yourself 🙄

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

In this case The Cadets would like their 2015 Trophy. 🙂 I kid of course. 

Ha ha....and that 2015 crew evolved from the 2014 Cadets...the last year they actually made the podium.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

@spacewill @MandarinMom @DAYGO @Metalbinky @Jnecker 

I just want to salute our kids and say how proud I am of all the performers who absolutely killed it today! 

Never in a million years did I think I would be a DCI Dad, but seeing my boy out there tonight, giving it his very best and bringing 14,000 to their feet, I wouldn't trade this feeling I have right now for anything. 

I hope all of you are just as proud as I am. 

I am a DCI Dad here, too…mine is an ageout Bloo Guard. Indy is “Indyscribable”...can’t imagine what it must feel like looking up at that wall of people and performing for them. Congratulations to your boy and you-you “get it.”

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

@spacewill @MandarinMom @DAYGO @Metalbinky @Jnecker 

I just want to salute our kids and say how proud I am of all the performers who absolutely killed it today! 

Never in a million years did I think I would be a DCI Dad, but seeing my boy out there tonight, giving it his very best and bringing 14,000 to their feet, I wouldn't trade this feeling I have right now for anything. 

I hope all of you are just as proud as I am. 

Well said, Chief!  It was an incredible day of drum corp. I not only got to see my son perform live, but I was able to watch his close friends in other corps.  I have the upmost of respect for all of these kids, now knowing and understanding what it takes to get here and beyond.  Kudos to every family who made all of these kids dreams possible.  Stay safe everyone and hope see you all in Indy very soon!  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

That was blindfolded year?  Or was that 82?  I know I saw them at Whitewater both years.  82 was the New York show but iirc they did same drum solo both years. 

83 had blindfolds 

8 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I don't get the disdain for the show.

I mean, their drill hasn't been spectacular since Gaines left.

Brass is down,but they lost an all star brass staff and have young blood coming from other corps. The musical writing is top notch.

Guard numbers are better than last year, and they're using new staff there too.

Percussion is killing it, and they have tasty notes all around.

I feel the GE is great, but more could be added. I just don't know what generates GE these days.

The show  connects with me, and flows. 

Sorry?

I mean, I want them to dominate and all, but I don't see any corps with drill that great anymore. 

I hear lots of great playing by so many corps.

I guess it's natural to kick a champion while they're down...

I guess everyone  should just Continue...

I still don't think the sky is falling.  There are almost 3 weeks left, and score increases from the top corps are going to slow down. We can't go over 100.

Some shows are going to stall, others will rise...

IMP the section leading to the step over seems to just be…..there. I’m hoping there’s more coming. I think the ending lacks sufficient oomph. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maleguena1988 said:

I am a DCI Dad here, too…mine is an ageout Bloo Guard. Indy is “Indyscribable”...can’t imagine what it must feel like looking up at that wall of people and performing for them. Congratulations to your boy and you-you “get it.”

I just added your name to my original comment. 

• Thanks 1