hazing/misconduct

7 hours ago, Narrow said:

Anyone in contact with kids at Pio? I heard they were having medical issues. Is everything ok there?

2 hours ago, gabe211 said:

Not ok from the sounds of it but it's all speculative right now until there's confirmation. Thankfully it seems like people are going through the right channels and DCI is now aware. Things are not looking good, major developments in the next few days.

What is this? Does it belong in this thread? Medical issues? ... not looking good? ... hazing and misconduct? If not, then maybe a new topic would be good.

I really have no idea but I want to make sure I am clear on what is going on with Pioneer at the moment.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

What is this? Does it belong in this thread? Medical issues? ... not looking good? ... hazing and misconduct? If not, then maybe a new topic would be good.

I really have no idea but I want to make sure I am clear on what is going on with Pioneer at the moment.

I think it's relevant to this thread. There is alleged misconduct and gross negligence going on. Blocking access to proper medical services, lack of regularly provided food, threats/retaliation for any mm's/staff that speak out on conditions.

Edited by gabe211
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Almost every corps now has online whistleblower reporting mechanisms and anyone who has first hand knowledge is encouraged by those corps to REPORT any claims so that the corps' whistleblower investigation team can look into it. Posting blind items on  DCP fails to rise to the test of doing anything that would actually get an investigation going. If you DO have this information, it's your RESPONSIBILITY - do I need to repeat that? - to get your source to get online and report it to the organization's Board of Directors.

If the corps in question doesn't have a whistleblower policy, DCI does, so there's no excuse for anyone to let suspected or known dangerous situations go unreported.

From what I have been told is DCI has been contacted and is aware of the issue.  I believe they may have already intervened.  Maybe I shouldn't have brought this up but others since my post have brought it up as well.  Word is getting around now.  I am well aware of responsibilities as I've been an education administrator for some years now. 

Our activity is small and word spreads quick.  Maybe we just keep it quiet on DCP and sing kumbaya to each other.  For me, it's about children first and ensuring they are not only receiving a great experience but are protected as well.  I'm glad to hear there are two sides to the story in the matter regarding the Blue Stars.  I am sure they are in this case as well.  So thank you for the reminder that we all play a part in this activity for the benefit of the members.  

• Like 3

Just be aware there are always two sides to every story and there will always be those who jump to conclusions. It's best not to automatically take anyone's word as 100% fact if you do not know all the facts yourself, and spreading rumors is never a good thing.

Demonizing someone or someones is easy to do. Just don't. If people are getting sick at one corps or another, I'm sure it's not done on purpose. Now people are going to be pointing at Pioneer admin saying "LOOK WHAT THEY'RE DOING TO THEIR KIDS!" 

This is not a perfect world.

• Like 3

Where's the adult supervision?  In the words of Vince Lombardi, "What the he11 is going on out there?"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gabe211 said:

I think it's relevant to this thread. There is alleged misconduct and gross negligence going on. Blocking access to proper medical services, lack of regularly provided food, threats/retaliation for any mm's/staff that speak out on conditions.

Didn't I see someone on DCP earlier this summer who said her kid from Pio was sick and hadn't seen a doctor?

On 7/24/2018 at 2:04 PM, xandandl said:

I have been involved with DCI since the very first year and was part of the field crew for the very first championships at Whitewater, Wisconsin back in the early seventies (last century.)

Since that time I know of not one corps who has a mandatory pre-Spring Training educational review for all techs and faculties where day to day protocols, language, attitudes, and expectations are reviewed, renewed, and underscored just as any school or school district would have these meetings for their department and institution before the new semester.

Yes, in recent years DCI has made available a Janual meeting, usually Indianapolis with a few lectures. But for the techs it is treated as a weekend away, a time to network with the big names, a time to move your personal brand, and more often than not bar hopping of the first order. What we need is something similar to what Gene Monterestelli and Dr. Chris Castille (former Cadets' DM) have assembled for the podium people today. We need something in-house, local and focused: what are the unique values of this corps?, how do we support that?, how do I/we teach that? [Of course, we'd like to presume that everyone hired is capable of the higher road, but even old timers get worn out, stuck in habits, and need reminding. Techs only repeat what the way they have been taught.]

Kudo to The Cavaliers who delayed ST this year until both mms and faculty and others spent 3 full days reviewing respecting one another 24/7. Cadets did something similar although in a slightly different way.  BAC last season re-pivoted its approaches as part of the larger review and renewal of its organizational goals and benchmarks; those not up to the task were not returned. ALL CORPS (mms, techs, faculty, volunteers, and admin) have to go through this each year.  Does a volunteer or tech know how to spot signs for depression, suicide, mental illness? If yelling is your only way of correcting are you really teaching? If all you are concerned about is ticks and rings, should you really be here? How are you helping the mms?

Just as DCI will have to re-examine its touring flow in light of global warming and the temps and locales of the past few summers, it's time to shake the house and re-evaluate what We are doing in this corps with these kids for these weeks. Human lives deserve no less.

What DCI released today https://youtu.be/W6GQIe4ull0 is definitely NOT what I mean by the above [but is another example of DCI looking at itself as a business (how do we continue to use the kids to make money for our professional salaries as instructors, admin, and personnel.)] I am calling for something annually much more basic than that. Where DCI and corps put their time and money show where the priorities are.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, xandandl said:

What DCI released today https://youtu.be/W6GQIe4ull0 is definitely NOT what I mean by the above [but is another example of DCI looking at itself as a business (how do we continue to use the kids to make money for our professional salaries as instructors, admin, and personnel.)] I am calling for something annually much more basic than that. Where DCI and corps put their time and money show where the priorities are.

If you have to teach people where their priorities are you have the wrong people

• Like 4