2014 Rules Proposals

Don't know if anyone has read them yet, but two rules proposals are on the agenda for the upcoming Winter meetings.

The first is an instrumentation amendment that would allow for use of ANY brass instruments by DCI Corps, as versus the current bell-front only language in place. Would allow trombones, French Horns and Sousaphones on the field.

The second is another version of an "Entertainment Effect" on the scoring sheets.

Both proposals are made by the Madison Scouts.

Thoughts on either or both?

Entertainment Effect I have no issue with...it would probably help the activity.

I DO have an issue with ANY brass instrument. While I agree it would allow for easier startup for a new program...no. There have been QUITE enough changes...let's leave the marching band instrumentation where it is.

Potential irony...if Hop comes out against that proposal.

I'm overwhelmingly in favor of both. Not just because I have a beginner trombonist daughter who would love to march DCI trombone someday... We're already using the rest of multi-key brass - concert french horns are hardly going to make a difference. And sousaphones - there are infinitely more of them available than convertible or marching tubas for groups and kids to access.

Entertainment effect, if used correctly, would be a great way to "balance" the system. It could easily make the difference between a placement (or a medal), which would encourage greater show experimentation.

So for me personally, they both sound like good ideas.

Mike

Don't know if anyone has read them yet, but two rules proposals are on the agenda for the upcoming Winter meetings.

The first is an instrumentation amendment that would allow for use of ANY brass instruments by DCI Corps, as versus the current bell-front only language in place. Would allow trombones, French Horns and Sousaphones on the field.

The second is another version of an "Entertainment Effect" on the scoring sheets.

Both proposals are made by the Madison Scouts.

Thoughts on either or both?

None of those instruments are needed as there are marching equivalents (tromboniums, marching french horns, marching tuba), and there are instruments with very similar voices. In a pinch I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them around.

Entertainment Effect would be an interesting idea that could be argued about for weeks! I'd love it, but I bet it wouldn't fly. Let's see how it goes...

Entertainment Effect I have no issue with...it would probably help the activity.

I DO have an issue with ANY brass instrument. While I agree it would allow for easier startup for a new program...no. There have been QUITE enough changes...let's leave the marching band instrumentation where it is.

Potential irony...if Hop comes out against that proposal.

Maybe Madison submitted them on behalf of Hop!!

As a long time trombone player, I just can't see them in DCI especially when baris/euphs are available. I see a good chance of bent slides as a result of some of the drills corps are doing these days.

Yeah, I don't see either of these passing. There are more efficient equivalencies to horns, souzas and trombones that don't create drill problems. I'd venture a guess that the only application of those rules would be to have soloists which I'm not necessarily opposed to. I just don't see it passing.

As for the entertainment rule, I see it as far to weighted, and far too vague. Who is to determine what is "entertaining"? Its already a subjective sheet in the GE department. This makes it even more difficult to pin down. The fact is, what is entertaining to one, is not entertaining to another. Do we really want a judge watching the crowd to see if they are tapping their feet? Do we want one person making that call for everyone? The current model allows for many forms of entertainment without alienating any particular viewer. Lets let the winner still be the one who does what they do better than anyone else.

Entertainment effect will end up like what DCa has now, which IMO is just as subjective as regular effect. YOu see high marks being given for shows that don't have burning babies thrown at the field in DCA, so I'd expect no change there.

a trombone with todays drill? are you kidding me??? if they were to be pitted only I could see it.

Aren't souza's "bell-front"? Most of those I've seen are typically naturally pointed to the press-box anyway. A whole corps pushing to the box would have souza's pointed nearly vertical.

GE would suffer, IMO.

Edited by garfield