Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

Colts posted a video already with singing as well, if that is whom you meant. If it's someone else, well I guess we know what the new-fangled trend of 2015 is

Not Colts

You're very right about the thin sounding hornline. So much so that I would have thought I was listening to the Cavies if I wasn't watching the video. I suspect it might have to do more with the recording than the hornline itself though since their hornline has sounded pretty nice the past couple years.

On the positive side, the music arrangements sound great! The whole show has this medieval vibe that I love. The game of thrones in the pre show sounds a little funny to someone who's been listening to that in the intro to the TV show for 5 years but it's only June. Ballad is absolutely gorgeous and is going to be a stunner by finals. The only thing I didn't like about the ballad was that they turned the singer into the main attraction for the ballad rather than the hornline.

:poke:

I think it's the mic placements.

The high brass is coming through better than the low brass, plus it's June. They're probably younger performers than the top 6 or 7 corps.

I don't think Boston sounds as good as they did at this event last year. Coolish show though. Not going to criticize this early.

Edited by jjeffeory

Not being at this event, I can't comment on how they sounded live, but I suspect very different than what was recorded. Not quite sure how you arrived at how they sound in relation to the age of the top six corps. What I know and what I hear is they are an older group than they have previously been and they had great retention from last years corps. I expect they will sound great with Mellos and baritones/euphoniums being a strength. If anything, they should have a very good performance level increase over last season, particularly with drill. Their drill last year was a bear and the bear ate them all season. I wish them well this year.

Not being at this event, I can't comment on how they sounded live, but I suspect very different than what was recorded. Not quite sure how you arrived at how they sound in relation to the age of the top six corps. What I know and what I hear is they are an older group than they have previously been and they had great retention from last years corps. I expect they will sound great with Mellos and baritones/euphoniums being a strength. If anything, they should have a very good performance level increase over last season, particularly with drill. Their drill last year was a bear and the bear ate them all season. I wish them well this year.

Please try not to take what what jjeffeoy said above to heart...I think he makes some valid points as the other posters concerns of the hornline as well...people are not saying they are bad...just don't appear to be as strong as last year at this time in the game...but again its June...and mic placement may have been factor etc...

I agree they had a bear of a show last year; All I am saying is that the recording of this from last year sounds "better" than the recording of this year'a event to me.

Not being critical of them at all, I just think that in the recording from this year the higher brass comes across as less refined than last year at thispoint in time. It's June and nothing to worry about, and the quality of the recording isn't perfect.

As far as the age thing, I've heard the various recordings of the other top 6 corps floating around, who have been shown to skew older based upon what DCI has reported, and I've heard good quality to bad quality recordings of them. It just seems in this recording at this time Boston sounds younger than the other corps. That doesn't mean anything at this point in time other than what was said. As you've pointed out, the drill this year, the experience of the corps, and the design could propel this corps into the top 6. I really like much of the show and I have nothing but respect for the organization. Please do not take what I wrote as a slight in the least. It was an innocent observation based upon this recording. The other recordings I have heard from Boston sound better and more balanced than this one.

• Like 2

Haven't seen a link to this video on this thread. If this is a duplicate I apologize. It's BAC doing a standstill concert in a park in Boston. Opens with the theme from Game Of Thrones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC9m1B_Dey0

Haven't seen a link to this video on this thread. If this is a duplicate I apologize. It's BAC doing a standstill concert in a park in Boston. Opens with the theme from Game Of Thrones.

It was first listed two pages back, but "been there, done that". Thanks YT.

I agree they had a bear of a show last year; All I am saying is that the recording of this from last year sounds "better" than the recording of this year'a event to me.

Not being critical of them at all, I just think that in the recording from this year the higher brass comes across as less refined than last year at thispoint in time. It's June and nothing to worry about, and the quality of the recording isn't perfect.

As far as the age thing, I've heard the various recordings of the other top 6 corps floating around, who have been shown to skew older based upon what DCI has reported, and I've heard good quality to bad quality recordings of them. It just seems in this recording at this time Boston sounds younger than the other corps. That doesn't mean anything at this point in time other than what was said. As you've pointed out, the drill this year, the experience of the corps, and the design could propel this corps into the top 6. I really like much of the show and I have nothing but respect for the organization. Please do not take what I wrote as a slight in the least. It was an innocent observation based upon this recording. The other recordings I have heard from Boston sound better and more balanced than this one.

I understood what you were getting at. I agree with your observations. I just wanted to let people know the corps is mature and their sound from the video could be a combo of factors. I guess you could say "on paper" they are looking good. And the same could be said for many corps at this time of the year. Maybe I am too anxious right now in the hope they retain their level of quality from last year as their jumping off point for this year. I look forward to your thoughts as the season progresses. Enjoy the season

:poke:

I think it's the mic placements.

The high brass is coming through better than the low brass, plus it's June. They're probably younger performers than the top 6 or 7 corps.

I don't think Boston sounds as good as they did at this event last year. Coolish show though. Not going to criticize this early.

Ready my first paragraph again. It literally says what you just said in your post :)