SCV 2016

Jeff's been doing drum corps for a long, long time. Maybe he just wanted to get out of the music nonprofit business? He'll be successful at whatever he chooses to do next, I have no doubt.

The org's way of putting the news out is a little abrupt and "oh, BTW," but I don't know any of the other folks there - maybe that's just how they do things in California.

Regardless, best of luck to Jeff!

Mike

THIS. Life as a director is tough and busy. I watch the ones I've taught for and often think to myself "i have absolutely ZERO desire to have their job". its a lot. fundraising... and more fundraising... and more fundraising. organizing the board keeping them on task, planning years in advance, putting out fires no matter how hard you planned, planning a show, dealing with copyright, keeping designers on task, keeping staff on task, getting people/gear/space organized. putting out more fires. trying to plan for stuff to break (and it ALWAYS breaks). finding volunteers for every aspect of your non-profit... and then more funding... you're the first awake, the last to sleep, you can't just ever say EFF it... because if you do, 200 people are screwed. its tireless. Good luck to both of them. I lot of my friends of the "other green" marched under him, and loved him. I trust he's making a decision that needed to be made. I hope he enjoys some time off, and that the new guy keeps them in the black, and near the top.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

Fiedler is a master. Recent shows under his leadership at SCV were moving, powerful, and rich with meaning.

• 2015 Spark of Invention which celebrates Nikola Tesla's quest for innovation, now mirrored in the modern Tesla corporation's quest for affordable, planet-saving electric cars in the year of the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Paris.
  • 2014 Scheherazade in the same year that Malala won the Nobel peace prize-- a powerful Middle Eastern woman taking control of a male dominated culture.
  • 2013 Les Miserables' Bring Him Home - US involvement in Afghanistan is declared over in 2013 with 35,000 American troops coming home, with 5500 remaining in 2016.
What an incredibly strong set of shows with resonant, pertinent thematic arguments, subtly and passionately delivered.

You should write for The Onion.

• Like 3

Fiedler is a master. Recent shows under his leadership at SCV were moving, powerful, and rich with meaning.

• 2015 Spark of Invention which celebrates Nikola Tesla's quest for innovation, now mirrored in the modern Tesla corporation's quest for affordable, planet-saving electric cars in the year of the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Paris.
  • 2014 Scheherazade in the same year that Malala won the Nobel peace prize-- a powerful Middle Eastern woman taking control of a male dominated culture.
  • 2013 Les Miserables' Bring Him Home - US involvement in Afghanistan is declared over in 2013 with 35,000 American troops coming home, with 5500 remaining in 2016.
What an incredibly strong set of shows with resonant, pertinent thematic arguments, subtly and passionately delivered.

This is hilarious.

• Like 2

I swear we're getting trolled. Expertly, too, I might add...

Mike

• Like 6

Based on what you have written above and watching current events (understanding that show themes are usually decided before the end of the prior year if they are influenced at all by current events), I predict that Vanguard will come out with a show titled "New Era Clown Car."

• Like 1