"Clash of the Corps" Episode Discussion

It's good. It's done exactly like I'd imagine a reality show would be. Is it completely accurate or depicting of drum corps exactly as we hope? No. And that's actually a good thing.

I get into a similar discussion a lot with the Marvel Comics movies. A lot of the die hard fans complain that the movies aren't true to the comics. And they're right. But, the comics aren't accessible to the wider audience. The movies take the basic framework and retool the story so that the average person, who has no clue what the Iron Man/Captain America Civil War is really all about, can get into it. It's not a complete translation, and for that the die hards are going to riot, but on the plus side, we get a shift in pop culture, and the die hard fan and the casual fan alike can walk around wearing an Iron Man t-shirt without ridicule.

Same thing's happening here. The die hard fan isn't going to get everything they want in this. But, this comes across exactly like ten million other shows that are easily accessible to the average person, and we have a higher likelihood of seeing the same turnaround. In a year, you might be able to walk around with a Blue Devils shirt on, and get a high five or "ya, Blue Devils!" from some random person at Starbucks. And ya, maybe that person has no clue who David Gibbs is or can tell you about that famous night in 2008 or who won in 76, but it's still a win for our activity.

So ya, it was good. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Sounds like a lot of the discussions fifteen years ago of The Lord of the Rings: the movies had to be dumbed-down from the books in order to appeal to a mass audience.

The CG captain -- there's a lot of context. They inferred some of it. Some of it is understandably private. That's why they "walked out and came back" -- CONTEXT that you're unaware of.

Well, if it's not in the show, or not clearly implied in the show, then it may as well not exist for the viewers.

Do we know, if this show takes off, will they use different corps in future seasons?

I hope so. If they do, I really want to see them cover the Bluecoats and Carolina Crown. And if possible, SCV and the Cavaliers the next season.

Well, I've been promoting the idea of a drum corps reality show for many years. Great to see but why in the world is the production, shots & scenes so darned quick & choppy? It's annoying...just like chop & bop music.

Well, if it's not in the show, or not clearly implied in the show, then it may as well not exist for the viewers.

Again, I thInk we should remember that this is thei first go around with drum corps. It is a very unique idiom. I would not be surprised if they are reading these critiques and agreeing with all of them. Until you have a context to what is going on in the big picture, it has to be very difficult to get it right when filming. It is pretty interesting that they already picked up on the confusion around Awakening (interesting that they never mentioned the original title...).

Well, I've been promoting the idea of a drum corps reality show for many years. Great to see but why in the world is the production, shots & scenes so darned quick & choppy? It's annoying...just like chop & bop music.

I agree with you, but I suspect it has more to do with the crew getting their feet wet with shooting drum corps. It looks less like the intended style, and more like trying to piece together a whole lot of disparate moments.

it is clearly implied in the show

as you mention ^ "people have short attention spans" lol

People have short attention spans. I've noticed it in all media.

Really? I haven't ... ummmm, what were we talking about again?

• Like 1