2019 Predictions!

Some folks seem really anxious to put Crown in medal contention while writing off Boston.  Interesting...you do know that BAC was only .85 behind them two nights ago, right?  While winning guard and visual??  (Over Bloo as well...)  Just say in'...

Edited by craiga
  • Like 1

I need to revise my prediction, because Bluecoats are gonna win. I haven't seen BD yet but don't care, Bluecoats win.

SCV's show left me thoroughly whelmed. Of course I thought Babylon was wack last year too at this point in the season, so maybe Vox Eversio will grow on me once they layer some more into it and I can get a better read. Right now though... oof.

12 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Staging! I don’t know how much more staging they can put into a design that is nothing but fluttering from one stage for park and bark to another. Their percussion battery actually marched more than the brass section, but drummers fluttering with equipment on is never a good look. Never! 

Staging as in stages of changes.  Stage 1 is sets 34-40. Stage 2 is sets 34-37a, b, 38a, b, c-40 version B.  Stage 3 is sets 34a, b, 37d, e, f-40 verson C... etc.

These groups have moments that are waiting in the proverbial wings to be rotated in, replacing other portions.

• Thanks 1

I'm glad that I didn't make any predictions this season, because I would now be embarrassed about where I would have put Cavaliers.  They have an incredible show this year including  one hell of a brass line.  I think this show gets them a medal.  They still have lots of cleaning to do, as do all of the corps, but I think Cavies show has more potential than any other show that I've seen so far this season. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Staging as in stages of changes.  Stage 1 is sets 34-40. Stage 2 is sets 34-37a, b, 38a, b, c-40 version B.  Stage 3 is sets 34a, b, 37d, e, f-40 verson C... etc.

These groups have moments that are waiting in the proverbial wings to be rotated in, replacing other portions.

Oh I understood it the first time. Though I doubt they will do nothing more than fluttering and body dispositions. Marching requires cleaning the feet. Unlike SCV Devils do both. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, craiga said:

Some folks seem really anxious to put Crown in medal contention while writing off Boston.  Interesting...you do know that BAC was only .7 behind them two nights ago, right?  While winning guard and visual??  (Over Bloo as well...)  Just say in'...

.85 but your point is taken.

Don't feel bad, though.  Some folks seem anxious to put Bloo in medal contention while writing Crown off even though they were only .25 behind Bloo.

Assuming BD and SCV take the gold and silver, I think there are 4 corps with a very legit shot at bronze.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is starting to sound like last year. Many thought SCV would never win visual and that it was all but guaranteed to go to BD, but clearly that wasn't the case. Both BD and SCV have different approaches, even to marching itself, but both are also very good at what they do. At the end of the day, it's the judge's call on what they like.

8 minutes ago, skevinp said:

.85 but your point is taken.

Don't feel bad, though.  Some folks seem anxious to put Bloo in medal contention while writing Crown off even though they were only .25 behind Bloo.

Assuming BD and SCV take the gold and silver, I think there are 4 corps with a very legit shot at bronze.

Thanks...I was doing it from memory.  Obviously, anyone can put whatever spin they want on any number.  I guess my point was that Boston IS in fact only two points or so away from what is arguably the highest scoring corps in the activity...SCV.  Not since the pre-DCI era has BAC been that close to the absolute top.  Some of us are understandably excited. This is especially so because BAC has a history (even before the current staff arrived three years ago) of closing strong during the final weeks of the season...usually jumping over one or two corps during the final sprint.  Will it happen again this year?  Impossible to know.  There are some incredible corps in this top six.   Speaking for myself as one who has been around Boston nearly 40 years, it's just nice to be in the conversation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Some folks seem really anxious to put Crown in medal contention while writing off Boston.  Interesting...you do know that BAC was only .85 behind them two nights ago, right?  While winning guard and visual??  (Over Bloo as well...)  Just say in'...

0.85 is nothing at the first show. SCV was closer to BD than that for almost the entire 2017 season and never beat them. Crown was closer to SCV than that many times during the 2017 season and never beat them. Why? Because BD's design was better than SCV's and SCV's design was better than Crown's. 

IMO, Crown's design is better than Boston's design. That's why I do not believe Boston will challenge Crown. In fact, I think the spread between them will only grow. That's why I believe Boston will be sitting in 5th or 6th place come finals. Nothing is wrong with that. Boston is still improving and growing. They may get there. It's just probably not going to be this year. Their guard though....magnificent.

I also think SCV, Crown, and BD's design is better than Bluecoats design. That's why I think SCV, Crown and BD will be our medalists this year. (This is all based on the designs as of right now). And, I'm still really struggling with what to think about Bluecoats.

*** EDIT *** Just watched Cavies from last night. Ok, maybe we do have a three way race for bronze with Crown, Cavies and Bloo.

Edited by queenanne_1536

1 hour ago, craiga said:

It's about the congested field and the potential for GE.  Boston could very well win guard and go undefeated in the caption... it just isn't mathematically enough without the potential to win against most of the field in GE (total).  Even if SCV wins most captions, the rest are likely going to get split among a wide field for 2nd, 3rd, etc.

In order to put BAC in medals, you would have to have a good argument for their GE game (over the two that they met the other night AND at least 1 more from the west coast touring 3... AND they would need to place very high -consistently 2nd and 3rd- in nearly all other captions... AND they can't afford to place below 5 in any 1 caption).  It's a really REALLY tall order given where they are starting.

It's not that tall of an order for Crown.  They are scoring well out of the gate with fairly large portions of room in the show to rev up the engine (especially visually).

• Like 1