Allentown, PA - Saturday, August 3, 2019

15 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Funny that there wasn't one comment about Mandarins tarp on the 50 but all hell breaks loose when SCV had one :whistle: 

You misspelled four...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, billj said:

I get the idea of ordinals and slotting and "leaving space" based on performance order, but the idea of corps "pulling away" points from other makes zero sense to me.

Exactly. And every judge has his/her “rule” for “slotting”.  A .10 slot for one judge, versus a .005 slot for another, can impact the overall placement when corps are so tight as they are this year.  A few years back DCI allowed for .005. Overall, that was a good change. The downside now is that if one judge’s “slotting” differential is tighter than the other judge on a full panel, then you have the potential of that little nuance in personal scoring methodology to impact placement more than it was probably intended to.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

Yeah 

4 minutes ago, billj said:

I get the idea of ordinals and slotting and "leaving space" based on performance order, but the idea of corps "pulling away" points from other makes zero sense to me.

Yeah i do think it’s a tight race all three nights. We’ve seen weird things like 1996, 2000, 2008 and 2015. It’s interesting that some compare drum corps to figure skating. But in figure skating it’s not who wins the last skating night it’s a combo of scores from short program with long program. DCI does this with captions awards but not placements. 

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

The difference between 3 through 6 is almost negligible, save Boston’s guard. It appears gold and silver will be between BC and BD, and we can all celebrate the fact that whomever wins the gold will have again set a high bar for next year.

No doubt. We all benefit from the awesome designs Blue and Bloo have brought to the field this summer. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Exactly. And every judge has his/her “rule” for “slotting”.  A .10 slot for one judge, versus a .005 slot for another, can impact the overall placement when corps are so tight as they are this year.  A few years back DCI allowed for .005. Overall, that was a good change. The downside now is that if one judge’s “slotting” differential is tighter than the other judge on a full panel, then you have the potential of that little nuance in personal scoring methodology to impact placement more than it was probably intended to.

As the years go on scores get tighter & tighter.  At some point they may need togo to four or more decimal points.

At some point it gets a little ridiculous.  

15 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

It’s meant to be that way but I remember 2014 BD won the first night and Coats the following and it was not a huge score difference but in reality it wasn’t close. But Coats fans were excited nonetheless. 

It still amazes me just how far ahead in talent, execution, and design that 2014 corps was from everyone else. Incredible                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

All those people will be sitting behind me in Indy, Tim! 😂 

Great review!  Thanks! 

No, they will be behind me ... oh wait, the staff pen is behind me. And they all talk about Mr. Clover! 😂

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Yeah 

Yeah i do think it’s a tight race all three nights. We’ve seen weird things like 1996, 2000, 2008 and 2015. It’s interesting that some compare drum corps to figure skating. But in figure skating it’s not who wins the last skating night it’s a combo of scores from short program with long program. DCI does this with captions awards but not placements. 

I often wonder if it would be better to average all the scores.

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I often wonder if it would be better to average all the scores.

If you do, then finals becomes mostly meaningless.

The caption awards are almost always decided by Friday night. In just 5 short days, you'll be reading something like "Unless BD can beat SCV by 0.4 in drums on Saturday night, SCV has won another Sanford".

Saturday night would be a lot less exciting if the same were true of 10 of 12 finalists.

• Like 1