Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

29 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I see grocery stores are setting up “old people only” hours. Also, college kids doing grocery runs for the elderly. I love living in the land of freedom where we can unleash our ingenuity. My prediction- if an effective vaccine or other treatment is developed and deployed for the masses, it will be developed in America. 

Adversity opens up opportunity.   65 million years ago, the dinosaurs had a really bad day.  But it opened up opportunities for mammals.  In the present situation,  the various 'work remotely' computer firms are doing very well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Local supermarkets setting up first hour for seniors only also. Choice of 6-7am or 7-8am depending on store. I was thinking seniors get to stuff before certain items are gone. Sis reminded me the stores should also be cleanest in morning from overnight disinfecting. (Between the lines was “get your ### out of bed and hit the clean store old guy 😈)

See what happens when you decide to retire?

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

See what happens when you decide to retire?

#### CDC declared me elderly two years ago....

My payback will be when sis hits 60.... 6 1/2 years from now (grumble).

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I see grocery stores are setting up “old people only” hours. Also, college kids doing grocery runs for the elderly. I love living in the land of freedom where we can unleash our ingenuity. My prediction- if an effective vaccine or other treatment is developed and deployed for the masses, it will be developed in America. 

I live in North Jersey.

Went to the super market  this morning.

Pretty much normal except:

1.Lots of people wearing masks.

But mostly regular dusk masks and they tended to be dirty.

2.People still hoarding water.

This area has "City Water".

So it makes no sense.

3.Apparently someone posted someplace that vitamins "C "and "E " could prevent corona.

People were lined up at the vitamin display.

I do intend to take advantage of the early hour,for us oldsters.

I'm up at 5:30 every day anyway.

• Haha 2

I saw my doctor Monday as a regular follow up visit.  She recommended I don't go to work, into the office,  for a while. no problem.

Went to the office right after the visit to wrap things up and take my computer set up home with me to set up an office at (where I am now), so far so good.

The kids are home from school but they do go to their jobs; one at a supermarket and one at a pharmacy.  Kind of critical jobs I think.

I work for a retailer (I manage building new stores) and I thinking I am eventually going to be out or work altogether as we are closing stores for a "few" weeks.  Likely to be longer.  A bit worrisome but I'll could end up retiring sooner than planned.

My 401K has taken a huge hit.  Not much I can do about it for now and I have only fallen back 5 months to date.

So what to do...deal with it.  Worrying gets nothing accomplished other than raise anxiety levels that will follow the Covid 19 curve if I let it.

I'll hope our country's leadership finally gets a handle on this and stops being more of a problem than a solution.  Now that is NOT a political statement.  It is a statement referencing people in politics that have control with this pandemic. as well as possible solutions.  We need solutions folks not vacillation.  We need everyone to participate in the solution if there is to be a sooner rather than later end to this.

I watch the leadership, talking heads, medical experts and measure all that I see and all that is said to discern what to do and keep my wits about me.   I have enough hand sanitizer, sanitizing cloths, toilet paper (I still don't get the hoarding of that) and food.  I go out only when necessary.  I try to look as everything sensibly.  I believe we will get through this OK.  Life is changing and has changed in many ways, permanently.  I'll change mine accordingly.  There is NO REASON TO PANIC.  None at all.  Stop, look, listen, act as necessary.

If we do our part, we have a chance of seeing each other in Indy in August.  I'll buy anyone here a beer who identifies themselves to me as a DCP'r , at Gate 10 in Indy on Finals night, if we get there this year.   How's that for incentive, LOL?  Stay safe, wash your hands, don't touch your face, keep your distance stay out of bars and restaurants, stay off the beaches, don't go to work, don't go to church (as bad as that may sound to some), shop at grocery stores a little as possible.  Shop local to support small businesses or they'll disappear forever.

We will get through but we need to get serious about beating it.

• Like 5

What I just figured out:  go to mass in person (not possible right now, rather hypothetically speaking) and it’s one hour. Watch the 5:30am Sunday mass on TV:  30 minutes!!!!  🤗

If my wife knew I’m posting this she would not be amused. Something about not taking it seriously. I prefer to think of it as looking for the silver lining. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jewel-Osco, a big grocery chain around here, is looking to hire 5000 workers.  5000.  

Now there's a nice gig to do on the late night grave shift. I hear than stores all across the country can't hire enough people to stock shelves after hours. No crowds, earn some extra cash. Sounds good to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Do the correct Drum Corps thing and maintain the proper intervals - whatever you choose it to be.  Arm & an inch probably too close, however

Perfect Advice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I'll salute to that!

• Like 1