Winning at all costs

26 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Just remember, it could be worse.  You could be a woman on here.  I dealt with less misogyny in largely male hornlines in the 70’s.  Even the Kilties and RA were less misogynistic.  

Definitely seems to be misogynistic people here. You’re my favorite Terri! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

It’s clear this season a lot of the corps have placed an emphasis on points rather than connecting with the masses. While the performance level is amazing, the design is clearly pointing towards the sheets and not the overall fan experience (yes this can be argued, but seems to be a theme). The question I pose to all of you, if you had one choice and had to design a show that appealed to the judges, or to the fans, which would you choose? Is it more important to create a complicated show that performs well on the sheets, or design a show that has massive fan appeal? And yes, you can do both, but I’m not giving you that option. You have to chose one or the other. 

Ready, go!

I would design a show to appeal to the judges. When you don't, Madison 2019 happens. I don't like the way the sheets are designed, but it is what it is and it's a competitive activity. 

• Like 1

I think we can all agree that we want to be entertained. I believe most corps are trying to entertain. But the question of entertainment and who finds what to be entertaining is not universal. Everyone has differences in what they find as entertaining so it's unfair to brand some shows as not entertaining and only trying to win when others likely find those shows very entertaining. 

Certainly some shows have more appeal to a greater number of fans. Take Madison Scouts in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. A high percentage of fans found them entertaining in those decades, but they were also fairly competitive. Often top 5 or top 7. I look at BD this year and I am highly entertained, but I am also wowed at the excellent. And excellence in and of itself can be very entertaining. I didn't care for the 2018 Santa Clara show as many others did, but I was blown away by the excellence.

So when you consider all things I believe it is best to leave the entertainment vs competitive excellence debate to the individual fan. After all, no universal standard can be established or agreed upon for what we all find entertaining. This is what makes General Effect in DCI scoring so hotly debated. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

I’m old enough to remember how much more fun (for everyone involved) a drum corps show really was.  The melody we could latch on to. A lasting individual personality and appearance of each team. The natural, big brass sound. Formal movement into various forms done to perfection. Spontaneous standing ovations throughout the production.

More fun “for everyone involved”? Are you sure that the kids on the field aren’t having the time of their lives? We can have our opinions. But maybe we shouldn’t speak for other people…

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Definitely seems to be misogynistic people here. You’re my favorite Terri! 

Amen to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

Nope, not getting into a finger pointing game. That’s not the intention of this thread. Simple question…

Oh please....we all know you mean BD and whoever's legit in the hunt against them.

A least be open and honest about it.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

It’s clear this season a lot of the corps have placed an emphasis on points rather than connecting with the masses. While the performance level is amazing, the design is clearly pointing towards the sheets and not the overall fan experience (yes this can be argued, but seems to be a theme). The question I pose to all of you, if you had one choice and had to design a show that appealed to the judges, or to the fans, which would you choose? Is it more important to create a complicated show that performs well on the sheets, or design a show that has massive fan appeal? And yes, you can do both, but I’m not giving you that option. You have to chose one or the other. 

Ready, go!

Fans and education over points and placement. Had my favorite indoor season approaching that way and will continue going forward.