AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

13 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

The effect is the same in the criminal case.  

The effect of a no contest plea (vs a guilty plea) is essentially the same for sentencing. The key distinction is nolo contendere carries no admission of guilt. As I said, no guilty plea. The headline is wrong.

19 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

The effect of a no contest plea (vs a guilty plea) is essentially the same for sentencing. The key distinction is nolo contendere carries no admission of guilt. As I said, no guilty plea. The headline is wrong.

Splitting hairs here.  If that's your hill to die on, go for it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, FTNK said:

I’d love for the parents of every kid marching DCI to read the Philly Inquirer articles, and then have Dan Acheson personally explain why that man is allowed to attend events.

Yes. Bob Bass of the Mason band in Ohio is not allowed to attend any event where the Mason band is attending stipulated by their school district. Ie, Grand Nationals and other local shows. And that was only a one time incident with a student in the 90s. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

The stigma is yours. The record is no conviction, no guilty plea. Nolo contendere means only a choice to not contest the charge (and accept possible punishment ).

The headline is wrong. Asserting that he is guilty under the law is wrong.

Pleading no contest in a criminal case still results in a conviction on your record, just as if you plead guilty or had been convicted at trial. The only difference, as others have pointed out, is when it comes to civil suits, i.e. your plea can’t be offered into evidence as you haven’t asserted either guilt or innocence, and even then that varies by state.

That’s essentially the only reason the option is on the table for some plea deals, as it still results in a conviction for the prosecution

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

The stigma is yours. The record is no conviction, no guilty plea. Nolo contendere means only a choice to not contest the charge (and accept possible punishment ).

The headline is wrong. Asserting that he is guilty under the law is wrong.

So based on your argument in several replies, the subject of this topic:

1) should be allowed to attend any & all DCI sanctioned events.  (e.g. A&E, competitions, seminars, Januals, luncheons, HOF Dinner, 50th Anniversary brunch, etc.) 

2) should be allowed to be hired or volunteer for any role with a DCI member organization. (e.g. support volunteer, consultant, educational staff, tour director, corp director, executive director, board member, etc)    

3) should be reinstated to the DCI Hall of Fame.  

"Sh0uldN0t" or "S0 N0", got it.  Thanks for the clarification...      

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

13 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Although I am one of the last ones to recommend the closure of any thread, I feel it is best this thread get closed.  Facts are ok but this has the potential to get too volatile.  We never know where this can go due to someone not being mindful and careful what is said.   

I would say that it is important to close public comment threads only at the moment that they earn the consequence of closure and not a moment before.

There are lines to be crossed, and potentially much to be said and discussed well before that line is reached.  If we can't take a shot at filling in all the space to the near side of the line, what good is a public forum?

It's okay that threads get shut down... when they deserve to be, and ultimately that is up to DCP.  But for me, as little interest as I have discussing the man, if he chooses to pursue reentry to DCI in any manner... he should probably be discussed with regularity by those willing to do so and for those willing to listen.

My 2 cents.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, C.Holland said:

His daughter isn’t the concern. He is. 

She is absolutely of concern IF she was the impetus and/or vehicle by which he gained access to the venue. If she wasn't, I'll back off. But she or whoever was is absolutely of concern.

This is why we have to talk about it. The actions of those in his circle matter, especially as they intersect with other corps and MMs.

Whoever thought granting him access was a good idea is not on the side of survivors and other vulnerable people in the activity.

I have been certified to do the work of safeguarding youth performance art orgs from predators and helping survivors recover in different parts of the country for years now. You cannot just focus on a singular predator, especially if they have the drive and means to stay connected to a youth activity. You have to also focus on the mechanisms by which they gain access in order to prevent that predator and others from repeating their actions... along with a cadre of other things.

This problem is a hydra, not a cyclops. Both are giants, but you need different strategies to approach each.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

Yes. Bob Bass of the Mason band in Ohio is not allowed to attend any event where the Mason band is attending stipulated by their school district. Ie, Grand Nationals and other local shows. And that was only a one time incident with a student in the 90s. 

So there’s precedent. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1