The Cadets 2023

6 hours ago, LabMaster said:

How many of the “impassioned adults” were at one time,  the never-a-problem member?  There are impassioned adults in the dc world who ARE  doing it right.  Maybe it’s the egoist adults who are the problem.  Cadets had the poster child of that ilk and are fortunate to be rid of him.  Now it’s time to fully reset and patiently rebuild.  Hurrying it and expecting to be right back on top is not reasonable or practical especially with costs being a primary concern of so many corps.

you preach patience, but sadly too many want instant results. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

We live in an instant gratification society

Well when many members can only do one year of corps, well that doesn’t help.

Years back asked why people didn’t join a “lesser corps”. Lot of responses were “can only march one year so it’s a winner or I stay home”.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, George Dixon said:

yup 

I've pretty much lost faith in the organization in the last few yeaars

For me the adult drama has been too  much

I hope I'm wrong obviously but I think it's a slow unwind to a folded corps

Erie, PA - hey if it helps terrific, never seemed like a commcunity with much money, but honestly I don't know it well

The Various "factions" seem unable to move forward cohesviley, certainly not selfishly 

Have we heard a peep from the new "Director" ?

I have zero fith in the BOD, can't even seem to send an email without various typos

And the behavior of people both inside and outside the organization regarding DB and TA was honestly disgraceful.

If the activity dies it will certainly be because of these impassioned "adults" - the members are NEVER the problem 

As you say, hopefully it all works out, and they benefit with more local support. And yes, hopefully SCV is back in 24. 

What the Cadets need to do is hire a PR Person because past and now the present management is failing at public relations!

Simple things like releasing the announcement about the "new" corps director 15 minutes after the SCV bomb explodes is just one example of their PR mistakes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fsthnds said:

Simple things like releasing the announcement about the "new" corps director 15 minutes after the SCV bomb explodes is just one example of their PR mistakes

Yup. And the old Cadets saying "always look good" flew out the window with the self-serving please to any SCV members wanting a home.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2022 at 11:33 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

No WC Corps is really from any one place any more, so other than a PO Box to receive snail mail & someplace to park a few truck trailers, why does it matter where Cadets are based out of?

What WILL matter a great deal is membership, and their travel to rehearsal sites.    Like many top competitors, the Cadets have a significant number of members who travel to camps via airlines.......however, they have also have had a SUBSTANTIAL number of DRIVING members from the East Coast, with many from Eastern Pa., NJ, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Connecticut, New York, and Mass..   A good percentage (not all) of these were from a driving time of 3.5 hours or less to the rehearsal sites.    The following airports were all within striking distance.....Philly, Wilmington, Allentown, Newark, JFK, Laguardia....and a bit further to BWI, Harrisburg, Atlantic City........discount flights and carriers are abundant, and with careful planning, a flying member can get into the area without spending outrageous money, and there are enough rides, van pickups, etc. to get them picked up and taken to camp, and then back at the end.     That will ALL CHANGE if they would make Erie their exclusive rehearsal sight.  For members who drive and rideshare (a substantial number), it could be a "deal breaker"....if a member is 60-90 minutes away now, the drive will now be  over 6 hours....cross state......and perhaps quite treacherous in Winter.......even if they did this, that's a really long drive home (and a ton of gas/tolls) on a Sunday to go to school Mon. morning......these are all HUGE factors.....and there will be MANY facing that situation, not just a few......yes, there is an airport in Erie (though not nearly as big as their current hubs)....beyond that, it is 94 mi. to Cleveland, 94 mi. to Buffalo, and 129 mi. to Pittsburgh.  My big question is........do they believe there are many new and talented students in that region who want to be Cadets?  I would also assume that there might be members of the Bluecoats in that region.  How does current Cadets membership feel about it?  I agree that where the offices are does not matter.....however, when you move rehearsals 6 hours away, that is significant.  If you think everyone is just going to get on a plane instead of drive, I think you are mistaken, and it will be a deal-breaker for a significant portion of current membership.  If they are confident that quality recruiting from that region will happen, and that significant membership will fly to that area, ok.....but I am not.  If they decide to make this move, I can only hope that I am wrong.  

47 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

What WILL matter a great deal is membership, and their travel to rehearsal sites.    Like many top competitors, the Cadets have a significant number of members who travel to camps via airlines.......however, they have also have had a SUBSTANTIAL number of DRIVING members from the East Coast, with many from Eastern Pa., NJ, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Connecticut, New York, and Mass..   A good percentage (not all) of these were from a driving time of 3.5 hours or less to the rehearsal sites.    The following airports were all within striking distance.....Philly, Wilmington, Allentown, Newark, JFK, Laguardia....and a bit further to BWI, Harrisburg, Atlantic City........discount flights and carriers are abundant, and with careful planning, a flying member can get into the area without spending outrageous money, and there are enough rides, van pickups, etc. to get them picked up and taken to camp, and then back at the end.     That will ALL CHANGE if they would make Erie their exclusive rehearsal sight.  For members who drive and rideshare (a substantial number), it could be a "deal breaker"....if a member is 60-90 minutes away now, the drive will now be  over 6 hours....cross state......and perhaps quite treacherous in Winter.......even if they did this, that's a really long drive home (and a ton of gas/tolls) on a Sunday to go to school Mon. morning......these are all HUGE factors.....and there will be MANY facing that situation, not just a few......yes, there is an airport in Erie (though not nearly as big as their current hubs)....beyond that, it is 94 mi. to Cleveland, 94 mi. to Buffalo, and 129 mi. to Pittsburgh.  My big question is........do they believe there are many new and talented students in that region who want to be Cadets?  I would also assume that there might be members of the Bluecoats in that region.  How does current Cadets membership feel about it?  I agree that where the offices are does not matter.....however, when you move rehearsals 6 hours away, that is significant.  If you think everyone is just going to get on a plane instead of drive, I think you are mistaken, and it will be a deal-breaker for a significant portion of current membership.  If they are confident that quality recruiting from that region will happen, and that significant membership will fly to that area, ok.....but I am not.  If they decide to make this move, I can only hope that I am wrong.  

while flights to Pitt or Buffalo arent that far...even Cleveland...there is a precedent, right here in Central PA for an option. For years Bluecoats sent busses to the Harrisburg area to transport a great number of kids to Ohio. Cadets could do the same

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

while flights to Pitt or Buffalo arent that far...even Cleveland...there is a precedent, right here in Central PA for an option. For years Bluecoats sent busses to the Harrisburg area to transport a great number of kids to Ohio. Cadets could do the same

True........I just don't see kids from places like West Chester, Eastern Pa., South Jersey, Mass., Ct., Eastern New York, Va., Md. etc. going by road to Erie for monthly camps..........6 hours or more on the road each way, and possibly adverse driving conditions.......and the airfare, with possibly the exception of Cleveland, is way, way more expensive.  I would heavily research things before doing it, because if the members do not come, the facility is going to be meaningless.......I also wonder if any on the Board have ever been to Erie in January and February......not the same as June to August.........not trying to be "Mr. Downer", but I just don't see that area (Erie, and  the 3 hour perimeter around it) as currently being any kind of "drum corps hotbed" for potential members.....I just see it as a  very dangerous gamble at this point.....

• Like 1

I heard the Cadets winter camps are in New Jersey, and not transitioning to Erie until outdoor rehearsals in April.

• Thanks 2