When does it end with SCV??????

While I agree this is a bit of a stretch, I know a few things to be true:

• This type of behavior is indicative of the culture of the organization, which usually flows from the top (or the people at the top turn a blind eye to it). 
  • Due to the severity, this likely wasn't the first incident like this. 
  • Vanguard has a history of hiring problematic admins/staff.
  • Fair or not, Vanguard MUST avoid even the perception of malfeasance right now.  

In my opinion needs to fire her, make a strong statement they don't support that kind of behavior, and clean house of anyone with even a WHIFF of inappropriate actions while they're at it.

I also just generally feel like they need to clean house anyways, but I digress.

• Like 7

I can guarantee that no group of kids I supervise for any activity would ever think it would be okay to do that kind of idiotic garbage.  The mentality that it could even be remotely okay comes from the top down.  The "adults" in charge of that group are incompetent at best as are the higher ups who hired them in the first place.  Gross. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MarimbaManiac said:

While I agree this is a bit of a stretch, I know a few things to be true:

• This type of behavior is indicative of the culture of the organization, which usually flows from the top (or the people at the top turn a blind eye to it). 
  • Due to the severity, this likely wasn't the first incident like this. 
  • Vanguard has a history of hiring problematic admins/staff.
  • Fair or not, Vanguard MUST avoid even the perception of malfeasance right now.  

In my opinion needs to fire her, make a strong statement they don't support that kind of behavior, and clean house of anyone with even a WHIFF of inappropriate actions while they're at it.

I also just generally feel like they need to clean house anyways, but I digress.

My perception is that if the SCV house was cleaned to the extent needed that there wouldn’t be anyone left to turn off the lights.  

• Like 6

On 6/6/2023 at 1:48 PM, Lance said:

I can guarantee that no group of kids I supervise for any activity would ever think it would be okay to do that kind of idiotic garbage.  The mentality that it could even be remotely okay comes from the top down.  The "adults" in charge of that group are incompetent at best as are the higher ups who hired them in the first place.  Gross. 

I helped coach my son's 6th grade basketball teams this past year.  The two primary coaches let a LOT of things slide during practices.  Discipline was non-existant.  The assistant coach's own 5 yo son would just wander through the court during practice.  The kids just weren't taking things seriously at all... until I decided I had to start asserting myself as a coach.  Once I called them out and explained, in absolutely no uncertain terms, what I expected of them during practice, things calmed down... a lot.  A couple of players even told my son "Dude, your dad is scary!"

There's no excuse for those kids' behavior and the blame lies 99% on the leadership.  Kids (and anyone under 25 has a non-fully developed brain) will get away with, and try, whatever leaders allow them to.  If you have to make an example and throw a 1st chair out of the group, then you do it.  You only get one chance to establish a culture, and VMAPA/SCV has totally blown it.  I don't see any way this ends other than the end of drum corps in Santa Clara.  The current leadership won't do the right thing and quit and they have made it painfully obvious they have no clue how to run the organization.  As a parent, there's no way in hell I would let anyone I know send their child to SCV as it stands.

Edit:  I asked my son last night about his recollection of this practice, and he can't remember the "scary" comments.  He did, however, vividly recall several teammates saying they "loved" me being their coach.  They appreciated that I cared about them and their experience, and that I felt passionately about them being able to get everything out of basketball they wanted, even if it meant getting yelled at a few times when they were screwing around.

Leadership is a LOT like being a parent: you can't afford to be their friend if it interferes or hinders your ability to lead them, discipline them, and guide them to where they need to go.

Edited by Tenoris4Jazz
follow up convo
  • Like 1

Wow. VK and the palm tree and beach chairs during retreat? Ok, that was cute and in line with their fun personality. Kilties age-outs leaving their shoes on the field? Clever way to remember your last show. This? Off the charts disrespect. 

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Our shenanigans on the track were to increase interval so our file was as long as Phantom, Madison, etc.  Us contras were in the back so it fell on us to ensure this happened. 

And for all these years I just thought you guys were just slow.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Our shenanigans on the track were to increase interval so our file was as long as Phantom, Madison, etc.  Us contras were in the back so it fell on us to ensure this happened. 

During one said retreat:

Glassmen contras - "Contras! 20 step interval!"

Madison contras - "TWENTY?!?!?"

We didn't win the show, but we did win something that night. I guess.

• Haha 3

Sounds like a YT vid I just saw. Little League game and young ump getting tons of insults and crap from the stands. Finally he warned then forfeited the game to the other team. Kicker was parents surprised there was ramifications to their actions.

The last sentence reminds me of this

1 hour ago, kevingamin said:

During one said retreat:

Glassmen contras - "Contras! 20 step interval!"

Madison contras - "TWENTY?!?!?"

We didn't win the show, but we did win something that night. I guess.

1998 retreat in somewhere, Midwest:

Glassmen Horn Sergeant A.F.: "GLASSMEN HORNLINE - HORNS DOWN IN 4... 1, 2, ready, move... 1-2-3-4!"

Cavaliers (next to us) Horn Sergeant: "CAVALIERS HORNLINE - HORNS DOWN IN 64... 1, 2, ready, move... 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-190-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-38-39-40-41-42-43-44-45-46-47-48-49-50-51-52-53-54-55-56-57-58-59-60-61-62-63-64"

• Haha 1