The Cadets 2023

2 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

I am very confused on this whole move to erie when you guys talk numbers.... 

The interim CEO is based out of Allentown, PA. When she took over YEA! her and her family moved to allentown to be closer to the office.... 

once YEA! folded, the building went with it, they do have a smaller little office in allentown but no one really uses other than the office manager, Dan Hurd. 

The CFO, doesn't live locally. So there's no need for an office for him. 

The COO, police officer in florida, doesn't live locally, no need for an office there. 

Corps Director/Program Coordinator/Visual Designer -- DOESNT LIVE LOCALLY and has a full time tech job. Doesn't need an office. 

Ops Manager, young person who lives in Texas and doesn't have much experience, also doesn't need an office. 

Allison, Marketing -- Doesn't go in the office. 

No one else isn't full time. 

The Cadets numbers doesn't make much sense. Will they survive? Sure? But how many times do they need to start over and have a fresh start? Wasn't the whole point of making CAE a fresh start? Folding one nonprofit to start another, wasn't that the whole point to get out of debt? HOW ARE THEY BACK IN BAD DEBT? 

Also one of you said BDPA doesn't have the money.... L O L.... BDPA (due to bingo) moved over 30mili in the 2019 FY! BDPA has enough money to do whatever they want with the entire activity... They have 0 interest in "purchasing" The Cadets... 

The Cadets, are trying to put up a good front, and I wish them nothing but the best, but history repeats itself when we don't remember things... 

Why did YEA! Fold? Why did YEA! Elimate the ED position under VFR? Justin Moore as the DOO and now the COO, what does he bring to the table to actually put a positive cashflow business plan in action to survive the drum corps. 

We all know that the drum corps activity is the fiscally irresponsible activity. What happened to SCV was bad management of a lot of things, but most importantly a budget. 

But look at BDPA, Bluecoats, The Colts, The Mandarins, etc of organizations figuring their lives out and making it happen. How are these organizations not making it more than just the drum corps? Its pretty easy to figure out if you have money or not and WHAT are you doing to make money. Literally take some time on google and just look up performing arts nonprofits and see how they survive. We are in a niche society and we can't keep asking just the nice of people to donate and make things happen without the people who get paid for 12 months in the office just cross their fingers and hope for the best. 

Rant done but man on man, THIS ISNT HARD BUT THEY LOVE TO MAKE IT HARDER AND NOT SMARTER! 

I get what you're saying from office space. However, the move is being looked at from the perspective of local support and connections. You have a thirsty appetite for something like this in Erie. With the big old drum corps scene that exists here that would be willing to volunteer a ton to local programs that want to partner and mutually benefit from having a local organization such as this. Not to mention, if the plan to continue having spring training here at the Sports Park, it helps them to be locally based and have their spring training here. Also, Erie is more centered geographically to start tour. It's why Boston usually spends time here at Mercyhurst University right before heading to their first show. 

5 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

I am very confused on this whole move to erie when you guys talk numbers.... 

The interim CEO is based out of Allentown, PA. When she took over YEA! her and her family moved to allentown to be closer to the office.... 

once YEA! folded, the building went with it, they do have a smaller little office in allentown but no one really uses other than the office manager, Dan Hurd. 

The CFO, doesn't live locally. So there's no need for an office for him. 

The COO, police officer in florida, doesn't live locally, no need for an office there. 

Corps Director/Program Coordinator/Visual Designer -- DOESNT LIVE LOCALLY and has a full time tech job. Doesn't need an office. 

Ops Manager, young person who lives in Texas and doesn't have much experience, also doesn't need an office. 

Allison, Marketing -- Doesn't go in the office. 

No one else isn't full time. 

The Cadets numbers doesn't make much sense. Will they survive? Sure? But how many times do they need to start over and have a fresh start? Wasn't the whole point of making CAE a fresh start? Folding one nonprofit to start another, wasn't that the whole point to get out of debt? HOW ARE THEY BACK IN BAD DEBT? 

Also one of you said BDPA doesn't have the money.... L O L.... BDPA (due to bingo) moved over 30mili in the 2019 FY! BDPA has enough money to do whatever they want with the entire activity... They have 0 interest in "purchasing" The Cadets... 

The Cadets, are trying to put up a good front, and I wish them nothing but the best, but history repeats itself when we don't remember things... 

Why did YEA! Fold? Why did YEA! Elimate the ED position under VFR? Justin Moore as the DOO and now the COO, what does he bring to the table to actually put a positive cashflow business plan in action to survive the drum corps. 

We all know that the drum corps activity is the fiscally irresponsible activity. What happened to SCV was bad management of a lot of things, but most importantly a budget. 

But look at BDPA, Bluecoats, The Colts, The Mandarins, etc of organizations figuring their lives out and making it happen. How are these organizations not making it more than just the drum corps? Its pretty easy to figure out if you have money or not and WHAT are you doing to make money. Literally take some time on google and just look up performing arts nonprofits and see how they survive. We are in a niche society and we can't keep asking just the nice of people to donate and make things happen without the people who get paid for 12 months in the office just cross their fingers and hope for the best. 

Rant done but man on man, THIS ISNT HARD BUT THEY LOVE TO MAKE IT HARDER AND NOT SMARTER! 

I can feel the passion of this post. 

On 12/27/2022 at 1:20 PM, CadetDood said:

What have you heard? Camp attendance from my perspective has been no worse than any year since 2018, if anything it’s for sure been a good deal better in the brass and guard with a much higher caliber of performer coming in to audition than we’ve had the last few years. The only section I’m aware of that’s been slower to fill has been the pit, but even then I think they’ve only got a couple of spots left. Financially, as I’ve said above, the corps in a very solid spot. The only thing I’ve heard brought up that has merit is tax returns from 2019 not looking great for the corps, which is valid since I believe 2018 and 2019 were some of the most perilous years for the corps financially. Everyone I’ve talked to on corps admin, though, has said the corps is comfortably in the black now and back (from a financial standpoint) to where the corps was pre-Hop firing. I believe YEA took a large brunt of the financial stressors on the corps for the Hopkins situation and COVID, and because of that the corps is able to be financially stable now. 

Thanks for the reply!

I realized both of the posts I saw were from Hop loyalists, which I didn't really think about before posting.  

Hopeful for a great year for The Cadets!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I can feel the passion of this post. 

I feel the passion, but most of it has me scratching my head.  There are some big assumptions about needs, plans, vision and stability that have no basis in the reality of actually running a non profit or a drum corps.

Why have an office?  Where do new instruments arrive and get stored?  Where are camp supplies and admin supplies stored?  Does the office have storage?  Do they run an online store?  Does the admin team and volunteers come in regularly to prep for camps and complete administrative tasks in prep for their solitary program? Does the office cost more than a storage unit?

Answers:  It's needed.  The Office.  The Office.  Yes. Yes. Yes. I hear no.

That's barely scratching the surface.  Every time I pop on here and read the tearing down of different corps ... I'm astounded at the assumptions made based on a complete lack of information.  Bad characters wishing ill will and spreading misinformation fuels panic and tribalism from those who wish the same. 

The Cadets will be fine.  Santa Clara (I pray) will be fine.  And if not ... then the touring model and modern expectations of what should be standard in drum corps will have caused the death of a couple more corps.  Times change.  Business models change.  Staff's change.  The activity changes.  But, nothing lasts forever.  All we can do is our best to keep it going, prospering and staying relevant for as long as possible.

If this move happens for The Cadets and CAE, I hope what they find is a HOME.  Allentown has done little to nothing for the corps beyond the original building they were in.  This could be a chance to grow roots, create new relationships, generate new revenue streams and put them back in a position where they can run multiple programs in all seasons without having to do it with a skeleton crew and a shoestring budget.

Fingers Crossed.  But I still find it interesting that a Letter from a Board Member doesn't have his name spelled correctly. Cincio? Cinzio?  Hmmmmmm

Edited by supersop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 8:16 PM, supersop said:

I feel the passion, but most of it has me scratching my head.  There are some big assumptions about needs, plans, vision and stability that have no basis in the reality of actually running a non profit or a drum corps.

Why have an office?  Where do new instruments arrive and get stored?  Where are camp supplies and admin supplies stored?  Does the office have storage?  Do they run an online store?  Does the admin team and volunteers come in regularly to prep for camps and complete administrative tasks in prep for their solitary program? Does the office cost more than a storage unit?

That's barely scratching the surface.  Every time I pop on here and read the tearing down of different corps ... I'm astounded at the assumptions made based on a complete lack of information.  Bad characters wishing ill will and spreading misinformation fuels panic and tribalism from those who wish the same. 

The Cadets will be fine.  Santa Clara (I pray) will be fine.  And if not ... then the touring model and modern expectations of what should be standard in drum corps will have caused the death of a couple more corps.  Times change.  Business models change.  Staff's change.  The activity changes.  But, nothing lasts forever.  All we can do is our best to keep it going, prospering and staying relevant for as long as possible.

If this move happens for The Cadets and CAE, I hope what they find is a HOME.  Allentown has done little to nothing for the corps beyond the original building they were in.  This could be a chance to grow roots, create new relationships, generate new revenue streams and put them back in a position where they can run multiple programs in all seasons without having to do it with a skeleton crew and a shoestring budget.

Fingers Crossed.  But I still find it interesting that a Letter from a Board Member doesn't have his name spelled correctly. Cincio? Cinzio?  Hmmmmmm

yup 

I've pretty much lost faith in the organization in the last few yeaars

For me the adult drama has been too  much

I hope I'm wrong obviously but I think it's a slow unwind to a folded corps

Erie, PA - hey if it helps terrific, never seemed like a commcunity with much money, but honestly I don't know it well

The Various "factions" seem unable to move forward cohesviley, certainly not selfishly 

Have we heard a peep from the new "Director" ?

I have zero fith in the BOD, can't even seem to send an email without various typos

And the behavior of people both inside and outside the organization regarding DB and TA was honestly disgraceful.

If the activity dies it will certainly be because of these impassioned "adults" - the members are NEVER the problem 

As you say, hopefully it all works out, and they benefit with more local support. And yes, hopefully SCV is back in 24. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

yup 

Erie, PA - hey if it helps terrific, never seemed like a commcunity with much money, but honestly I don't know it well

The Various "factions" seem unable to move forward cohesviley, certainly not selfishly 

I have zero fith in the BOD, can't even seem to send an email without various typos

And the behavior of people both inside and outside the organization regarding DB and TA was honestly disgraceful.

If the activity dies it will certainly be because of these impassioned "adults" - the members are NEVER the problem 

As you say, hopefully it all works out, and they benefit with more local support. And yes, hopefully SCV is back in 24. 

I happen to agree with everything you've mentioned. Quick, someone get a screenshot 😃

• Like 2

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

yup 

How many of the “impassioned adults” were at one time,  the never-a-problem member?  There are impassioned adults in the dc world who ARE  doing it right.  Maybe it’s the egoist adults who are the problem.  Cadets had the poster child of that ilk and are fortunate to be rid of him.  Now it’s time to fully reset and patiently rebuild.  Hurrying it and expecting to be right back on top is not reasonable or practical especially with costs being a primary concern of so many corps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Maybe it’s the egoist adults who are the problem. 

Possibly similar to youth sports where an occasional parent makes it tough for teams and officials.

Edited by TOC

On 12/28/2022 at 8:16 PM, supersop said:

while Allentown wasn't a plus in many ways, wasn't there promise of more community involvement from the corps as well?

sure the dance group, and hey USBands shows and a summer show at JBC brought in some tax $$, but if i recall it was to be a two way giving street...and neither gave