Cadets 2017

Even with all of the electronic toys, there's still nowhere else I can hear brass ensemble this big and percussion ensemble this big playing specially designed arrangements for marching on a football field. Not the best brass bands on earth. Not the best winter percussion groups.

Nowhere.

Any mic'd up vocal ensemble that's added that performs a bunch of soli stuff? I can hear that done as well or better from a lot of different places.

Or the last sentence might read "Any mic'd up horns that are added that perform a bunch of soli stuff? I can hear that done as well or better from a lot of different places."

But, it seems to be what needs to be done to win these days. Why risk it with your entire hornline playing most of the time when the judges will give you higher scores if you feature soloists and small ensembles. Especially when these soloists/ensembles can play standing still and can modify their sound through electronic means? Or when they can record themselves and then replay it over and over on as many amps as possible? Hey, but if the "right" corps does it, it's OK.

Or the last sentence might read "Any mic'd up horns that are added that perform a bunch of soli stuff? I can hear that done as well or better from a lot of different places."

But, it seems to be what needs to be done to win these days. Why risk it with your entire hornline playing most of the time when the judges will give you higher scores if you feature soloists and small ensembles. Especially when these soloists/ensembles can play standing still and can modify their sound through electronic means? Or when they can record themselves and then replay it over and over on as many amps as possible? Hey, but if the "right" corps does it, it's OK.

You need the right membership too. Bloo had *15* individually miced soloists, all of it played at a very high level. Unprecedented exposure. It's actually a higher risk (and higher reward).

• Like 1

a massive brass ensemble and massive percussion ensemble performing arrangements specifically made for marching is something you cannot find anywhere else. it's what makes dci unique. i'm just hoping there's not a lot of soli vocal stuff. i can hear that done better from a multitude of sources. if it's used mainly to enhance what brass and perc are doing, then i might end up liking it. i'll have to see, so i'm looking forward to it.

the choir will be blended with the brass and percussion parts - there won't be a 4 minute "vocal" section of the show

• Like 1

the choir will be blended with the brass and percussion parts - there won't be a 4 minute "vocal" section of the show

Spoiler alert!

• Like 1

What is SSDD?

I believe it's "same stuff, different day."

Except substitute a stronger word for "stuff." :tongue:

I don't understand why you replied to me. I already know they had singing. The poster to whom I was replying asked if Cadets had EVER had singing in their show.

I was backing you up with the examples.

• Like 1

I believe it's "same stuff, different day."

Except substitute a stronger word for "stuff." :tongue:

Can we say that on DCP?

Can we say that on DCP?

Is it in the source material?

Does the speaker have a mic, one's own costume/outfit, proper facial make-up to accent the proper facial expression able to be read in the box while also pleasing for Tom Blair's TV eye? How does this manifest multiple simultaneous demand in an entertaining, engaging, and Cesario approved way?

DCI is all about check-list design and performances today...DCP to follow.